Construction of Hostels for OBC Boys and Girls

The Scheme aims at providing hostel facilities to students belonging to socially and educationally backward classes, especially from rural areas, to enable them to pursue secondary and higher education. The cost norms under the scheme are:

  1. North Eastern Region                    -           Rs.3.50 lakh per seat
  2. Himalayan Regions                       -           Rs.3.25 lakh per seat
  3. Rest of country                              -           Rs.3.00 lakh per seat

or as per the schedule of the rates for the concerned State Government, whichever is lower.

  1. There will also be a one-time non-recurring grant of Rs.2500/- per seat for providing furniture/equipment to the hostels constructed under the Scheme.

The funding pattern as per the guidelines are:

  1. The cost of construction for Boys hostels is shared between the Centre and the State in 60:40 ratio.  For the Girls hostels the ration is 90:10.
  2. In case of Union Territories, the Central Assistance is 100% and for North Eastern States, it is 90%.
  3. For Central Universities/Institutes, the Central Government share is 90 % and the remaining 10 % is borne by the Central University/Institute for both Boys and Girls.
  4. The amount of grant will be released in 3 installments in 50:45:5 ratio, of which 5% grant will be released after completion of the work and occupation of the rooms by the OBC Boys and Girls.

The construction work of the Hostel has to be completed within eighteen months from award of work order or two years from the release of Central assistance, whichever is earlier.  In no case the time will be extended beyond 2 years.  Any cost escalation due to delay in project will be borne by the State/Institute.

Guidelines Hostel Scheme (Construstion of Hostels for OBC Boys and Girls w.e.f. 2017-2018) Edit